Supplying parking bays for Blue Badge holders
Parking pressure in many residential roads is high, due to an increase in car ownership. This causes parking difficulties for Blue Badge holders who are unable to park close to their own homes. We will consider applications for dedicated disabled bays from Blue Badge holders who meet certain criteria. This service is free of charge for new applicants.
Residents will be charged £200 to change an existing disabled person's parking bay to a dedicated permit-holder bay. This helps cover the cost of converting the bay.
Types of disabled person's parking bays
Disabled permit-holder bay
This is a white parking bay with the word 'DISABLED' and a permit number marked on the road. Permits are issued to a particular vehicle permitted to park in the bay.
Statutory parking bay
This is a white parking bay with the word 'DISABLED' marked on the road and a sign allowing only Blue Badge holders to use the space at any time. This type of disabled parking bay is provided for general use outside the following places:
- GP surgeries
- Shopping centres
- Train stations
To apply for a dedicated permit holders bay, the applicant must hold a valid Blue Badge and be in receipt of or eligible to receive one of the following:
- Disability Living Allowance with the higher rate mobility component as well as confirmation of your disability from your doctor
- Personal Independence payment at the enhanced rate for the moving around component as well as confirmation of your disability from your doctor
- Attendance Allowance at the higher rate as well as confirmation of your disability from your doctor
- Armed forces independence payment as well as confirmation of your disability from your doctor
The applicant must also:
- drive their own car or nominate a carer who drives and permanently resides at the address
- have no off-street or private parking space
- provide copies of their UK driving licence and vehicle registration documents showing their name and address
If you meet the above criteria, email email@example.com for an application, giving your full name, address and contact phone number.
Applications take a minimum of three months to process.