Advice for homeowners

Buying a home

If you are a first-time buyer, there are a number of schemes available to you.

If you are a council tenant and want to buy your first home, you may be eligible for our right to buy scheme.

For more information on legal advice for buying a home, refer to GOV.UK - Buying or selling your home.

Difficulty paying your mortgage

If you need advice and support because you have received a letter to attend court about mortgage arrears, you should get help with your housing situation. We have a shortage of homes so it is important that you keep paying your mortgage. If you have difficulty paying your mortgage you should contact your lender. It’s important to take action so that you don’t become homeless, as we may not be able to help with an alternative home.

You should also get advice and help by contacting any of the following organisations:

Keep warm in winter

If your home isn’t being properly heated, this can affect your general health and wellbeing. You can get advice on keeping warm, preparing for cold weather and winter health from the following organisations:

Home improvements

If you’re looking for able trades people, see our Trading Standards page.

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up