Homeschooling - elective home education

If you want to educate your child at home, you need to inform their headteacher in writing, so that their name can be removed from the school roll. You will then be sent our guidance notes on home education and a form requesting information about the education you are setting up for your child.

An advisory teacher will arrange to meet with you to discuss the education programme and long-term education plans that you have put in place for your child. Following the meeting, the adviser will write a report and you will be sent a copy.

They will also visit annually to check that the education programme is being implemented satisfactorily, according to your child's age, aptitude and ability, and that they are making progress.

Enfield Council will not direct your child's learning or provide equipment, books or other resources. Our role is to assess whether the home education you are providing for your child is appropriate and effective.

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up