Welcome to Enfield Council's page on how to submit a request for personal data under the United Kingdom General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR) and Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 2018).
UK GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018
The UK GDPR is essentially the same law as the European GDPR, only changed to accommodate domestic areas of law.
The GDPR is a regulation that governs the collection, use, and protection of personal data across the European Union (EU). It came into effect in May 2018 and aims to give individuals more control over their personal data.
The Data Protection Act 2018 sets out the data protection framework in the UK, alongside the UK GDPR.
Your rights and responsibilities under UK GDPR and DPA 2018
As an individual, you have the right to:
- know what personal data is being collected about you
- know how your personal data is being used
- access your personal data
- correct any inaccurate or incomplete personal data
- request the erasure of your personal data
- object to the use of your personal data for certain purposes
- restrict the processing of your personal data
- data portability
As a local government authority, we have a responsibility to:
- inform individuals about the collection and use of their personal data
- obtain consent before using personal data for certain purposes
- keep personal data safe and secure
- ensure that personal data is accurate and up-to-date
- respond to requests for personal data within one calendar month
- notify individuals of data breaches that may affect their personal data
How to submit a data subject request
If you want to obtain a copy of your personal data or exercise any of your rights under the UK GDPR and DPA 2018, you can submit a request to Enfield Council. This request can be received verbally and in writing. We would prefer for you to make this request through our online form. The council has one calendar month to respond to your request.
To submit a request in writing or by email, please follow these steps:
- Download the Subject Access Request Form under the General Data Protection Regulation form (PDF, 96.36 KB) from our website. Alternatively, you can request a copy of the form by email, phone or in person at one of our offices.
- Fill in the form with your personal details, such as your name, address, and contact details. Please be as specific as possible about the personal data you are requesting.
- Provide a copy of your identification document, such as a passport or driving license, to verify your identity
- Submit the completed form and identification document the subject access request team by email, post or in person
Complaints and Information Team (Subject Access Request)
PO Box 54
Once we have received your request, we will review it and respond within one calendar month. If we need more information to process your request, we will contact you to request this.
If you want to learn more about your rights or have any questions about submitting a data subject request, the following resources may be useful:
- The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) is the UK's independent authority for GDPR and DPA 2018. You can find more information about UK GDPR and DPA 2018 on their website.
- The UK government also has information about the UK GDPR and DPA 2018
- Further information on how Enfield Council collects, handles and stores your personal data can be found in our privacy notice