BSL Council Tax and benefits

Enfield Council offers Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support to help people who are struggling to pay their rent or Council Tax.

The benefits service offers financial support to those on a low income.

The service is for all Enfield residents on a low income that are liable for rent and or Council Tax.

Council Tax is payable on both owned and rented domestic properties. It is a local tax, set by individual councils to help pay for the services they provide, such as rubbish collections, libraries and the upkeep of parks, open spaces and galleries.

If you are on a low income, you may be entitled to Council Tax Support. Council Tax Support is a means-tested welfare benefit to help with Council Tax for people on a low income. The amount you could receive is based on your income, savings, and personal circumstances.

A full Council Tax bill assumes there are at least two adults living in a household. Some adults qualify to be disregarded for Council Tax purposes as such, you may be entitled to a Council Tax discount. Additionally, not all properties incur Council Tax charges if certain circumstances apply and may be exempt.

You may be entitled to a Council Tax reduction if you have adapted your home for a disabled adult or child. If you receive this reduction, your Council Tax bill will be reduced by one band.

If you are the only adult in the property, you will be entitled to a 25 per cent discount.

If Council Tax is not paid you may face possible costs if recovery action is taken for non-payment.

You can find out online if you are eligible for a discount, disregard or exemption on your Council Tax by registering for an Enfield Connected account. Make sure that you provide your Council Tax reference number when you do so.

You can make payments through your Enfield Connected account, or send cheques or postal orders (made payable to Enfield Council) to:

Director of Finance Resources and Customer Services
PO Box 63
Civic Centre
Silver Street

If you need to drop in documents, you can do this at the following council offices:

John Wilkes House
79 High Street
Ponders End
(9am to 4pm)

Civic Centre
Silver Street
(9am to 4pm)

Edmonton Centre
1st Floor
36-44 South Mall
N9 0TN
(10am to 3pm)

You can contact us about Council Tax and benefits through our customer service team.

Our minicom number is 020 8379 4419.

We welcome Text Relay calls on 18001 020 8379 1000.

You can also email

We are open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

An out-of-hours, emergency only service operates at all other times including bank holidays.

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up